Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oh fudge...

I have a rocky relationship with fudge. Sometimes it works splendidly, other times it won't set which leaves a soft, gooey mess that tastes amazing but ultimately has no practical use!
Last week I bought myself some matcha powder after having recently drained my green tea kitkat stock. So I set out to make something equally sweet, with a touch of the bitter matcha flavour to counter it. Hence - white chocolate and matcha fudge!
And PS I'm a terrible cheat and always stick with a good ol' tasty can of condensed milk.

It was all pretty simple -
1 x can condensed milk (395g)
2 x blocks of white cooking chocolate
1 x teaspoon of matcha powder
1 x nob of butter (yes a nob is a precise measurement.. if I was to guess, I'd say 20g?)
1 x baking tray
1 x wooden skewer

1. Grease and line a tray with baking paper
2. Set aside 1-2 tablespoons of condensed milk and combine with the matcha powder in a small bowl. Stir with a fork until it's smooth and even.
3. Get your double boiler set up so that the water in the bottom pan is bubbling away. Throw your condensed milk and chocolate into the top bowl/pan and keep stirring until combined, melty and glossy.
4. Once all smooth, throw in your nob of butter and continue stirring (or whisking if you're really particular) for a further minute or two (my baking is never an exact science... er...)
5. Pour your white chocolae/condensed milk concoction into your lined baking tray.
6. Moving pretty quickly, pour your matcha/milk mix in a swirly pattern on top of your white fudge.
7. Grab your wooden skewer and swirl quickly! Try and keep the green matcha evenly spread through your fudge. Keep in mind the fudge is wanting to set so I mean quick!
8. Chuck in the fridge and lick the heck out of that bowl! (but make sure it's cool, taste buds take a week to grow back). I generally like to give it a night's worth of chilling, but it's all dependent on your fridge.

Next time I'll definitely be going for more matcha powder because the flavour was a little too mild for me. I'm not completely sure about an entirely matcha fudge... but who knows, I could be swayed.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea!! And they're so pretty with the marbled effect. It would be a good way to eat matcha, usually I think the flavour is too strong and bitter but the white chocolate fudge would sweeten it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete